Tuesday, April 8

cheap eats [chia jam]

Chia jam is my jam. It's crazy easy to make, healthier than regular jams, and goes deliciously in all my favorite things (Greek yogurt parfaits, overnight oats, over ice cream, etc). I keep some in the fridge at all times.

I first heard about it over here, which helped give me an outline for a recipe. Basically, you're mixing fruit, chia seeds, and a sweetener of choice (or not) over heat. I like to use what I have on hand, which was strawberries on their last legs and black chia seeds. FYI, I bought this 2lb bag of seeds for $20 at Amazon, and it's great.

For every cup of fruit, add the juice of half a lemon and two tablespoons of chia seeds, stirring all over low heat. I cooked it down for awhile, because I like a thicker jam, but keep in mind it will set more in the fridge. Strawberries are pretty sweet on their own, so I didn't add any sweetener, but a tablespoon of honey or even liquid stevia could balance the tartness of other fruits, like raspberries.

If you want to follow Sarah's recipe, she used frozen fruit (so convenient) and added the chia seeds after she had made the jam. Doesn't she take the most lovely food photos?

No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?