Thursday, November 7

print magazines [and an incredible deal]

I wanted to discuss what mags you all subscribe to, and share my own preferences. 

The reason I've got them on the brain is because I just re-subscribed to Real Simple, after a few year hiatus. Once upon a time I was given a subscription for Christmas (thanks mom!), but I let it lapse. I found this so-good-I-thought-it-was-a-scam deal: $20 for two years. Say what?! The best deal on the Real Simple subscription page is more than double that. And don't worry, it's not a scam. I got my confirmation email, have been able to log on to the RS website and connect with customer service, and have received a few months already. It's just a flipping good deal that is well-hidden. You can also do $10 for one year...the news stand price is almost $5 a pop, so if you were thinking about subscribing, this is the way to do it.

There are a few other print mags I love: Martha Stewart Living, House Beautiful, Elle Decor, InStyle, and Architecture's Digest. You can find decent deals on most of them if you're willing to do some digging. I received Dwell for a year, but didn't love it (too modern and sterile for my tastes). I've also done HGTV Magazine before, and DIY magazine, but both are too kitchy and colorful and unsophisticated for me. If I could get over the execution (super playful prints, bright hues, etc), the actual ideas are strong, but I get too hung up.



The real excitement this year was the return of Domino, which will be coming out quarterly and is only sold in stores. I rushed to my local Whole Foods to pick up a copy- it's a whopping $12, but people legit horde these things and refer to them for ideas and inspiration for years.

What other can't-miss-mags am I missing? If you're worried print mags are a dying breed, don't worry; I've pulled together some of my favorite online publications as well for next week. Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to tell you about Darling Magazine. It's GORGEOUS and right up your alley. It's all about women and redefining what it means to be feminine. The essays and the photography are beautiful. It's a quarterly publication I think and it's $20 but it is SO worth it. The last issue was the first one I ordered and it just felt so classy and glamorous in my hands. I actually have a draft blog post about it that I haven't published yet...maybe I'll do that.

    ReplyDelete

how you like dem apples?