Tuesday, June 25

cheap eats [vegan dips]


I know I'm supposed to have some lovely images of my re-potted succulents, but I'm working from Chicago this week and didn't realize until today that the images I have are crap. We're holding until I can get home and snap a few good pics.

In the mean time, I have a cheap eats post for ya. While at the Brooklyn Flea earlier this month, I sampled the fare from The Regal Vegan

Just, wow. 

One is Basilicotta and one is Faux Gras and both are delicious. The Faux Gras is listed as containing lentils, onions, walnuts, miso, tamari, rice wine, plum vinegar, EVOO, salt and pepper. Sounds pretty simple. The Basilicotta doesn't have an ingredient list, but it's made from basil and cashews. 

I love the idea of using nuts as the basis for veggie dips so I can get some extra protein. I buy quite a bit of hummus, and I'm always looking for exciting ways to incorporate new flavors and/or save a few bucks. I've done some research for similar recipes, and here's what I came up with:

This almond sauce. The website is a bit weird, which basically just means it's not a pretty blog, but the recipe was too easy and very tasty. Nuts can be high in fats and calories, but certainly the good version of both.

I have some frozen edamame that needs to get used, so this recipe for edamame spinach dip came at the right time. Also raw and vegan, yay?

Roast pepper and walnut dip sounds like an interesting combo.

I don't keep nutritional yeast on hand, but otherwise loved the recipe for this walnut olive spread. So good on a vegetarian panini. 

Have any of you tried creative ways to make dips and sauces?

No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?