Thursday, January 10

HEALTHY cheap eats [overnight oatmeal]


In case you're still fat, I'm continuing my healthy cheap eats. Kinda on a roll here, and if I make it to Friday, this lady is going to Cold Stone.

I've been in love with the swiss oatmeal from Corner Bakery since I tried it in Chicago this summer. It takes just 5 minutes to set up the oats the night before, then you let them sit overnight and absorb the other yummy ingredients you add. Come morning, your breakfast is ready to go!



Because I couldn't say it better myself, here is a summation of this breakfast of champions from The Faux Martha:

Let me tell you a bit about Swiss Oatmeal before I give away the recipe. You eat it chilled not hot. It wont make you sweat. It never sits in a microwave or a pan on the stove top. Just add water. It’s creamy. It’s healthy. It will help you shed those extra pounds. It’s similar to Muesli. It’s very very filling. It’s got all the fiber Dr. Oz has been telling you to eat. It’s sweet. It’s delicious. It has a very interesting history. It’s the easiest recipe on this blog to date. You’re about to fall in love.

Basically, let old-fashioned oats (NOT quick cooking Quaker style, those will be mush city the next day) sit in water overnight in the fridge to soak up some agua. In the morning, drain off the excess water and stir in some Greek yogurt, 1/2 a banana, 1/4 apple, and some craisins and you're good to go. Get fancy and add spices (cinnamon, citrus zest, ginger) or extracts the night before, or use milk instead of water. Again, endless possibilities.

One more thing my friends: if you're working out and eating right as part of a resolution, set yourself a tangible goal. You need to know what you're working towards and WHEN- a goal without a deadline is just a wish. That's your motivational pep talk right there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?